Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

"I turned to the Lord God pleading in earnest prayer, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes." -Daniel 9:3

The practice of placing ashes on ourselves is deeply rooted in our Jewish heritage and has been performed for centuries. The use of ashes is a sign of penitence and remorse for wearing the mask that hides us from fully experiencing our relationship with God. We call that mask sin.

"Jesus said, 'When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They make themselves unsightly so that others may catch sight of their fasting. Amen I say to you, they have recieved their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to be fasting except to your father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.'" Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

Pray with me.  Fast with me. Give alms with me. It's all His anyway.

I felt the ashes this morning and I heard the words "From dust you have come and to dust you shall return." There is something very primal about that statement. I am reminded that there is nothing that I have, nothing that I will have, that has not come from God and that does not already belong to God. Or as the teacher proclaims in the second verse of Ecclesiastes "All things are vanity!" That even includes me, brother to Christ. And so, I begin this Lenten season with thoughts of impermenance. One day all this will pass away. I too will be gone. It is comforting though to know the ending. Indeed Christ has gained victory over death! It already belongs to Him even before we experience it! Lord come quickly!

No comments: