Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Nineveh

"While still more people gathered in the crowd, he said to them, 'This generation is an evil generation; is seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it, except the sign of Jonah. Just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to this generation. At the judgment the queen of the south will rise with the men of this generation and she will condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and there is something greater than Solomon here. At the judgment the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation and condemn it, because at the preaching of Jonah they repented, and there is something greater than Jonah here." Luke 11: 29-32

Nineveh was an ancient city near Mosul, Iraq. It rested at the mouth of the Tigris river. Jonah, according to sacred scripture, was told by God to go and preach at Nineveh. For a time he refused but after a period, remember the great fish, he ended up preaching at Nineveh and must have been quite surprised when the people there accepted his message.

I can empathize with Jonah. Today is the sixth anniversary of my deployment to Iraq. Today six years ago I was running from God. My journey took me to the very place the Prophet Jonah preached. I wonder if he was as scared as me...

My time in Mosul, and the ancient city of Nineveh, taught me with much certainty that there is something greater than Brandon. Just breathing should be sign enough for me to understand life is gift and love is treasure. Being away from my family, friends, and Deanna absolutely shook me to the core of my being. There was no one to rely on but God! He never left me and was constantly faithful. And so leaving Nineveh, after receiving the message Jonah delivered, I came home and set myself back on the journey with the Lord. Which, ironically enough, was the path that I was already on. I just didn't realize it.

So, will all of the little anniversaries that I come to throughout the year, I am reminded that I am never alone. God has given me himself in Sacrament, Deanna, and family. I hold the yearning and zeal for living by remembering my journey, enjoying the journey, and remembering whom I am going to. Journey with me as we move closer to Easter...

Pax Tecum!

No comments: