Monday, March 9, 2009

Forgiveness

Forgiveness... wow, what a hard pill to swallow. Several folks easily come to mind when I think of who has hurt me. This is one of those lessons I think we are constantly trying to learn. Just when you think you've got it down, plop, you put another grudge in your pocket and wait for the opportunity to somehow get back at them. Even "killing them with kindness" as the old saying goes. But how do we honestly begin to put down our egos to even get close to forgiveness?


"Jesus said, 'Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into you lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured to you." Luke 6:36-38

Be merciful He tells us... In the devotional today three things are put in front of me to be merciful:

"1. Instead of identifying the person totally with whatever was done to hurt me, I begin to see the person as someone like me--imperfect, but still someone God loves.
2. I give up my "right" to get even. Vengeful thoughts don't make the other person suffer. They hurt me. So, I just plain rinse my mind of those kinds of thoughts.
3. I stand next to the Lord and together with him look at the other person. For sure Jesus wants good things to happen tot he one who hurt me. So, with the Lord's help (and some struggle), I begin to look at the person the way the Lord does." Little Black Book March 9, 2009 entry

Today's reflection further talks about Thomas Merton, a Trappist monk and author, who says that a Christian's answer to hate is not love, but faith.  Our loves does not just happen because it happens. No, it happens because we know that we are loved by God and we are made in God's image. If I am loved by God and created in God's image, isn't everyone else? Yes. Therefore, I must be merciful... I must treat every human being with dignity regardless of whether or not I think that they deserve it.

All of this is one thing to say... can I live it? Will I live it? Journey with me...

Pax Tecum!

No comments: