Monday, March 2, 2009

The Down and Out

"Jesus said, 'For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'" Matthew 25:31-46

In the Catholic tradition, just as Matthew tells us, when we do something for the poor it isn't as if we are doing it for Jesus, no, we are doing it to Jesus because each and every one of us are His body. Jesus is present in the hungry, the naked, the thirsty, and the imprisoned. He loves the least of these in a very passionate and special way. How do we see the Lord in others? Do we see the Lord in others? Are we nice to people because we have to be? Or are we nice to people because in our heart-of-hearts we want to be? What do we do for the poor and the hungry? What do we do for the dying and imprisoned?

I think this passage of sacred scripture is just one of many that speak about our primary Christian vocation: honestly love and serve one other. But how do we do that? How do we really give ourselves away? I have a feeling we already know the answer...

...we just have to keep knocking.

Pax Tecum!

No comments: